Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Brad's Blue Ribbon Baked Potato Soup

Several of my friends in East Texas were making a recipe for potato soup and adding their comments on Facebook. I read their comments several days and just couldn't believe that it was so great. It was potatoes, bacon, onions, & cheese, nothing really exciting or different. I decided to make it and just see what all the fuss was about. I will say upfront that this is hands down the best Baked Potato Soup I have ever eaten. It rivals some of the best restaurants soups I have enjoyed in my life. If you make this soup, please leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Brad's Blue Ribbon Baked Potato Soup

4 large baking potatoes
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
3 cups milk
3 cups of half & half
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 green onions, chopped
12 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. sour cream

Wash the potatoes, pierce with a fork and bake in a 375 degree oven until fork tender.
Let potatoes cool then cut in half and scoop out pulp.
Melt butter in heavy sauce pan over low heat. Add flour & stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Gradually add milk to butter/flour mixture.
Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick & bubbly.
Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 tbs green onion, 1/2 cup bacon and 1 cup cheese to milk mixture.
Cook until thoroughly heated. Should be slightly thick. Stir in the sour cream. You can add extra milk for desired consistency.
Garnish with cheese, bacon, and onion on each individual serving.
Makes 6 -8 medium size servings.

As with all wonderful recipes the person who shared should be recognized. The story I received was it belonged to Brad, although I'm not sure who he got it from. But Brad, here's to you buddy...it knocked my socks off and that's just not easy to do! I will say you come from a long line of wonderful Southern cooks who taught you well. Maybe next time I make it we can wait to eat until we take the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment